Monday, March 22, 2010

N Madison's Eagle Project Apr 3 & Apr 10

Members, Parents and Friends of Troop 21,

On Saturday April 3 and Saturday April 10, I will be working on my eagle project and I am going to need a lot of help. My project is an outdoor classroom consisting of eight wooden benches. It will be built at Shades Mountain Elementary School on one of the trails in the recently built nature park. The address of the school is 2250 Sumpter Street, Hoover 35226. The school is actually on Blue Ridge Blvd.

Directions to the school from Bluff Park. Take Alford Avenue and Turn right just past the BP before I-65 onto Sumpter Street. Go to the stop sign and turn right onto Blue Ridge Blvd. The playground and parking area is around the curve on the left. If coming from I-65 take the Alford Avenue Exit to the west side of I-65 and turn in front of the BP onto Sumpter Street.

We will meet at the playground behind the school at 8:00 A.M. to begin our first work day. Lunch will be at 12:00 and we will work until 4:00. I will be providing doughnuts for breakfast and pizza for lunch. I will provide water and soft drinks also. We should be able to complete most of the project in one day if we have a good turnout.

I will be calling scouts and leaders to see who will be coming. I will need at least two leaders (Mr. Hardy and Mr. Eggers, I hope) to bring Skil saws to cut the lumber. We will need 6 to 8 battery powered screw drivers to put the benches together with. We will need a couple sets of post hole diggers also. I suggest that everyone bring work gloves and safety glasses if you have them. We will have water but it would not hurt to bring your own water bottle also.

List of needed materials:

· Power drill with 1/2" drill bit

· 6 to 8 battery powered screwdrivers

· 2 skilsaws

· 4 posthole diggers (minimum)

· Extension cords

· flathead shovels

· saw horses

· gloves

· safety goggles

Please let me know if you can provide any of the items on the list above and if you plan to attend. Saturday morning April 2nd is the most important time. If you can only come for a little while, Saturday morning would be the best time. Send me an email or give me a call to let me know if you plan to there.

My estimate for building the outdoor classroom is $450. I will appreciate monetary donations of any amount. Since it is an Eagle Scout project for the City of Hoover, if I can raise 80% of the money, the City will contribute the rest. Lowe’s will also give me a 10% discount since it is an Eagle project.


Thank you and I will be calling to follow up.


N Madison

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home